Saturday, May 17, 2014

Whole30 Round 2 Day 3

Today was a really great day! I was expecting Ryan to be a bit grumpy and tired - according to the daily email, day 3 is peak transition day. I don't think he is experiencing any signs of detox, probably because he was already gluten free (dairy was his biggest toxin), but he is a bit tired and moody. All things expected so I was surprised when he was eager for an early start to the day!

We woke up early and I made meal 1 - carrot, spinach and brussel sprouts hash with scrambled eggs and chicken sausage. It was a great use of leftovers and Ryan and I both cleared our plates. After a couple episodes of Nurse Jackie (sadly, we finished House of Cards), we left for Brooklyn Flea!



We hadn't been back to Brooklyn since we moved January 31 (except for a basketball game and concert at Barclay's) so we were really excited to walk around and see the neighborhood. We got to Fort Greene and after an hour at Brooklyn Flea, we walked to Brooklyn Heights. We went to Bareburger for lunch on Atlantic Avenue and ordered lettuce wrap burgers. I got lamb with grilled apples & onions, Ryan got jerk chicken with pickles, onions and tomato. What is a burger with fries? Well, Barbeurger has always used peanut oil to fry their appetizers, including sweet potato fries, so those are Whole30 out! However, on the menu it said "all appetizers are fried in non-GMO canola oil." Well to my surprise this meant it was Whole30 approved! We asked the waitress just to confirm the change in oils and she said they got rid of peanut oil from the restaurant!



Well, Bareburger sweet potato fries will not be categorized as SWYPO for me. Ryan and I split a basket, but I'm pretty sure I ate most of them. After the meal, we walked towards our old apartment! Along the way, Ryan discussed some of his struggles with Whole30. He said the hardest part of eating at a restaurant is smelling all of the foods you know you can't eat and feeling full and satisfied without bread (gluten free or not). However, he added, that once he left the restaurant, he felt full and happy. I understand exactly what he is going through - it's realizing that the healthier foods keep you fuller longer but sometimes they don't taste or smell as enticing. They aren't coated in sugar and chemicals - they are natural, they are delicious and they are so healthy. It is so much for Ryan to overcome eating a burger without a bun, but he did it, loved it and felt so much better walking out of BareBurger even after eating fries than he would have pre-Whole30.

Our walk to our old apartment was nostalgic. We missed the community and neighborhood of Brooklyn Heights but we are so happy in our apartment that we don't want to look back! I don't think we would be able to Whole30 in our old apartment. We didn't have a dishwasher so cooking 3 meals and prepping would be completely impossible. There wasn't enough counter space or fridge space or freezer space. There also wasn't a separation between kitchen and living room so we would have spent all day in one room. Also, in the summer, the oven made the apartment unbearably hot. And we didn't have a dining room table so we ate on the floor watching TV. Totally not Whole30 possible!

I hit my NikeFuel goal early on in the day wit the amount of walking we were doing in Brooklyn! When we got home, I marinated chicken and we rested on the couch and caught up on Game of Thrones. For dinner we were making nomnompaleo Chili-Lime Chicken Wings, salmon cakes and asparagus. The recipe calls to cook the chicken on a wired rack - we followed the instructions and cooking time exactly but the chicken wasn't crisping the way it should have so after 40 minutes of cooking, we took the chicken off the wire and put it directly on the backing sheet. The chicken browned and got crispy right away and tasted so much better! Ryan made salmon cakes using Trader Joe's canned salmon, almond flour, eggs and scallions. And the asparagus was oven-roasted with coconut oil. It was a delicious dinner and I think it will keep Ryan full the rest of the night so he doesn't feel the need to snack!


Tomorrow I am going to Trader Joe's early before the huge crowds/lines to stock up on groceries for the week and items I need to family dinner. I also want to take Ryan to Hu Kitchen so he knows what to order if he does have a night when he really doesn't want to cook or clean! We also want to check out the Farmer's Market at the Stuyvesant Oval that is open all summer. Might be a really great place to get local vegetables!

I didn't go to Bar Method today and won't make it tomorrow but I have a lot of activity from all of the walking we are doing so I am not worried. I love spring in NYC - I am so much more active and wanting to get out of the house and be outside. It makes me so much happier!

I hope everyone has a great night!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment