Thursday, January 2, 2014

A New Year, A New Me!

I wanted to start the new year with a new blog - a journey on my road to healthy living through diet and exercise. I wanted to share some of my stories, struggles and goals with myself and those who find comfort in reading this. I have had a crazy few years and whatever I have dealt with, it has led me to be a happier and healthier person.

So with that said...January 2rd, the first day back at work, back to my normal routine, back to basics, back to tracking, back to measuring, back to feeling good and hopefully for a wonderful 2014!

I was on and off again gluten free beginning August 2013. I was diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid and the only treatment is to remove the thyroid. At the young age of 26, I do not want to remove my thyroid yet and be placed on hormones and medication for the rest of my life. I sought out a doctor with a holistic approach who said I can use vitamins to improve my Vitamin B and D deficiencies and food that will keep me clean and healthy as well as acupuncture to lower my stress. Since then I was gluten free (until I went to Italy for my honeymoon), but with the new year, I am back to gluten free. This time it will be easier because my husband Ryan is gluten free as well. We both read the most amazing book, Grain Brain that lays out the science behind gluten and how it poisons our brains. We have chosen to be gluten free (soon to be paleo/grain free) to better our own future.

Today began bright and early, well not so bright since the sun wasn't up yet, but definitely early...too early after being on break for a week. At 4:45am my alarm went off and I stumbled out of bed to make my Advocare Spark and grab my lunch and get out of the door. I haven't been to Bar Method in a week, and I forgot just how early 4:45am really is. But once I had my Spark, things seemed to be picking up. I took the 7:15am class taught by Lara and as with any Bar Method class - I loved it and hated it all at the same time.


Bar Method 7:15am w/Lara M.

Warm-up and Arms
Thigh
Seat
Abs
Back Dancing
Final stretch

I'm tired just thinking about that 60 minute work-out. My legs were shaking the entire set of thigh and my muscles ached from doing standing seat with a straight leg. But after class, I always crave more and wish I could go back for an evening class. Bar Method has become my addiction. I had never stepped foot into a gym until I went to Bar Method. 3 years ago I entered the SoHo boutique, scared for what I was actually doing and questioning myself and why I had even purchased the new client package before actually going to a class first. My first class with Amy Duffey - one of the owners - was life changing. Pretzel had me barely able to walk down the flight of stairs that morning, yet, I was back for more. 3 years and over 400 classes later, Bar Method is my home. My friends in my life are Bar Method clients and I look forward to early mornings before the 6:30am class starts because I can't wait to see my friends and share in our passion for life and for Bar.

Being somewhere I love that early in the morning makes me happy. Yes, being in bed with my husband sleeping in would make me happy too, but I think I have forgotten what it's like to sleep, and what it feels like to not be sore. Bar Method has become a part of my life and I refuse to let it go.


My Advocare Spark was getting me through these early 4 hours and my breakfast was an Advocare Meal Replacement Shake (Chocolate) and a banana. Since we had the week off from work, I was so used to bigger breakfasts at home later in the day so I wasn't that hungry at 9:30am, but I did notice the difference between eating breakfast at home and at work. I have been on Weight Watchers for 2 years now and am always measuring and counting points so when I was at home I was still counting, but my meals were definitely more well rounded. I found a love for an egg white and oatmeal pancake that I found on my favorite blog, Peanut Butter Fingers. Her blog has been so helpful to me while learning to eat clean and healthy and balance work, life, food and fun! She is so inspirational and I love reading her posts!

I got into Advocare in October through an Instagram post and connected with a fabulous woman, Victoria, who has not become one of my really great friends. Although we have never met, we text every day - I feel a connection to her through her passion through selling Advocare and our shared commitment to eating clean and having a happy life. I started with the 24 Day Challenge and lost an average of 3 inches and 3 pounds. I lost the feeling of being bloated and the feeling of having no control over what and how much I ate. Although I was counting points for my food, I couldn't feel full or satisfied. After the challenge I continued to use the Advocare trim line. In November I went on my honeymoon to Italy and the vitamins helped me control my eating, limit my carb intake and feel full. In Italy, I never felt deprived of any of the wonderful foods that we ate and along with all of the walking that we did everyday, my weight gain was minimal and I felt in control of it. On January 1 I started the Advocare 10-herbal cleanse to give my body a reboot after all of the holiday eating and lounging around. The worst part of the cleanse is the morning Fiber Drink that you have to drink right before breakfast. My best advice - just chug it down as fast as you can. It's thick which makes it difficult but it does the job of making me feel full even before I eat. The Meal Replacement Shake is delicious when blended in a blender bottle with some ice. Total points for Breakfast: 6


My lunch was what my husband likes to call the "Leslie Lunchables." It consisted of celery, peppers, grapes, Rice Thins Gluten Free Crackers (18 crackers for 3 points), 1 slice Go Veggie 'Cheese' w/Jalapeno (1 point), Oven Roasted Deli Thin Turkey (4 slices, 1 point) and a hard-boiled egg (2 points). On the side I had a Broccoli Garden Lites Souffle (4 points). I found these little gems while on break in the freezer section of Garden of Eden and Morton Williams. I have fallen in love. They are the perfect snack, side dish or mini meal. There are a range of flavors that I have found and I have not been disappointed yet. Last night with dinner I had Cauliflower Souffle! The ingredients are extremely simple, vegetables, egg whites, onion, potato, corn starch, oil and spices. The entire souffle is 140 calories and has 11g of protein. And the taste is not the usual bland, frozen meal. It tastes like a homemade broccoli souffle. I plan to have one of these at least once a day because they are low in points, clean, gluten free and delicious!


3 Years ago, I had surgery, which was a blessing in disguise. I smoked my last cigarette 3 years ago, joined Bar Method 3 years ago, increased my daily activity, and really started to think about what I was eating. Healthy eating has not always been easy, but now it is a lifestyle and I enjoy it. Sure, I miss the pizza and the burgers, but not at 4am after a drunk night. I have learned to treat myself to pizza and burgers and savor those moments because they are special and not the every day norm. I have become accustomed to reading and understanding nutrition labels and eating clean salads filled with fruits and vegetables. I am not a registered dietician, but if I could go back to school and do this all over again, I would follow that path. My outlook on life is so much more clear now that I eat healthy and treat my body with respect. On days when I am at work sitting down for 8-9 hours a day, I feel restless and tired. My energy drops because I count minutes and eat on a schedule and barely move from my desk. I love food and I love walking and being outside and doing Bar Method. I wish everyday could be spent cooking healthy recipes and sharing them with friends and family, but on days I work, I have to help myself stay focused and stay on track. I can't always have an excuse for "fat days" - today's a birthday, today's a holiday, today is Wednesday. It doesn't matter. Every day matters and I am committed to making myself feel better through food and exercise. My husband even notices my new attitude and says I am happier and a more loving person when I am focused and determined and happy with myself.

So here is to a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year!

If you want to learn more about Advocare or Advocare products, visit my site at: https://www.advocare.com/131119375/default.aspx

Disclaimer: This post was not sponsored. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment