Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Deep Freeze!

I woke up this morning and it was still a real feel of -4. The deep freeze is keeping me from wanting to get out of bed! I wanted to stay curled up in my warm blanket and not face the outdoors! But after hitting snooze and realizing I would miss the local 4 train that would get me to SoHo on time, I scrambled out of bed and started my day. I threw on my lululemon pants with leg warmers and bar socks and a sweatshirt and grabbed my watermelon spark, my lunch from the fridge and bundled up in 2 jackets, scarf and gloves and hurried out the door. I got to Boro Hall with 2 minutes until the train and stood on the platform freezing my shaking glutes off! At 5am when the train pulled up, I was surprised to find a seat and be able to read my book - I am loving "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and cannot put the book down!. You would think this early in the morning I would always have a seat, but no matter what time of day, the 4 train is always unbelievably packed. I am usually pushed again the door or standing in the middle of the car, too short to reach the overhead bar to keep me balanced. I find myself bending my knees, tucking my seat, sucking in my abs and holding myself in this position which surprisingly keeps me balanced through the entire train ride. It's also a really great extra workout! I got off at Spring and pulled my hood over my head and ventured towards the Bar Method studio. The wind was hitting my head and giving me such a headache and I could barely feel my toes even though they were stuffed into my boots with 2 pairs of bar socks and leg warmers, making my shoe a size too small. Is it sad that I try shoes on with my bar socks and usually have to go up 1/2 a size than normal! Does anyone else do that? I only own bar socks so I have to make sure my shoes fit with them on!

The studio was warm and I started to forget about the deep freeze outside. I love the mornings that I spend with the instructors and clients. Even though we are all complaining about the cold weather, it's still a great start to my morning. I love waking up and feeling part of a community and enjoying the work out that I do.

Ryan made a fresh orange juice this morning and had a side of bacon, egg and a gluten free english muffin. He has noticed such a change in his hunger and need for food since starting to juice and eat clean. Last night he said he can totally see how people can juice for a few days at a time and claim to not be hungry. He always looked at me sideways when I said I was juicing for 24 hours as if to say 'how could you go without food for a day!' But it is possible and sometimes it is worth it to give your body a break from chewing, digesting and the process of eating. It is hard for me during the week to make juices at home since I leave at 4:45am and I am actually jealous of Ryan's breakfasts now that they aren't loaded down with unnecessary carbs. Juice Generation has a great selection of cold, fresh pressed juices and I try to pick one up from time to time as a meal replacement (Hail to Kale, Daily Detox and Very Veggie are my favorite and so easy to recreate at home). They also have delicious raw food entrees that can be eaten alone or combined to create a raw cleanse with the juice. If you haven't already, try the Cashew Cheese Ravioli, it is mouthwatering good. He also said that he only had 1 piece of bacon, 1 egg and half of the english muffin because he wasn't as hungry and didn't need the food as much as he thought he did. This is such a difference from Monday when he had 2 scrambled eggs, 2 pieces of bacon and the whole english muffin and even a bigger difference from last week when he had a bagel, cereal, muffin and yogurt! What he has accomplished and the gift he is giving himself and his body by making such a wonderful lifestyle change is truly unbelievable and amazing. He has become my partner in life and we are finally working together to improve ourselves and our life together! And from the looks of it, Haley is even being tempted by Ryan's orange juice! I can't wait for tomorrow morning when I can sleep in and have breakfast with them. I am craving my egg white and oatmeal pancake!


At work, I had a nibblr delivery. Nibblr is a personal box of pre-portioned, healthy snacks that can be delivered weekly or monthly. The snacks come 4 to a box and contain high quality ingredients that are great to snack on while on the go or at your desk all day. Some ingredients are figs, coco nibs, almonds, wasabi, dried fruit, and other fun tasty things!! The names of each snack are also fun like "Autumn Crisps, Coco's First Date, Ale House Blend, and Copa Cabana-Rama." I love having these snacks in my desk for when I get a salty or sweet craving and I know that since they are pre-portioned, I can't overeat. Nuts are really healthy but contain fat (good for you fat, so don't be afraid to eat them), but it is important to stick to a serving size to keep the snack healthy. I had to give away one of my Nibblr snacks "Apple of my Pie" because on the back it listed that it contained wheat. Didn't want to tempt myself with yummy cinnamon apple but I saved "Mediterranean Mix, Coco's First Date and Wasabilove" for another day! And the nutrition facts are listed on each pack, so I have already figured out the WW points and labeled each snack! At only 3-4 points per snack, they are the perfect addition to a healthy meal.


I also received an amazing text from my brother this morning that got me really excited. He said that since Sunday mornings egg white and oatmeal pancake that we made together, his energy his higher, he's working out more and he wants to eat healthier. He had tilapia with mashed parsnips last night and has asked me for more healthy breakfast and snack ideas!


I am so impressed with him! He has always had a great workout ethic and knows to eat proteins in order to keep his muscles and body bulked and toned. But sometimes people need help understanding nutrition and how it leads to healthy eating habits and even better workouts. When your mind and body are working together, you will have increased energy, increased muscle definition, a clearer mind, and be more focused. Ryan even is noticing a change and wants to get on a better workout routine since eating better. He usually hates going to the gym late at night after work/dinner because it's crowded but he said he is going to start going no matter what time it is, and would even consider a few early morning workouts before breakfast. He also signed up for his 3rd Bar Method class with Amanda Suchy on January 20th. It's exciting to have my whole family involved in my healthy journey and make it a lifestyle change for everyone. It will certainly make family dinners and holidays easier if we are all focused on clean / gluten free eating!

Today's lunch is another spinach, kale, grilled chicken and nut salad. Now that we have a lot of produce in the fridge, it is easier to bring healthier meal options for lunch and not be forced to buy something. Ryan doesn't even have a loaf of bread hiding on a shelf and he hasn't had a sandwich for lunch this week. He is enjoying his salads and we are both feeling excited go to grocery shopping on Sunday!

I want to try one of Ryan's gluten free brownies that he made last night so I am saving my WW points to indulge in that. I might heat up a garden lites spinach souffle at 7:30pm when I get home! I have found that I am not as hungry throughout the day now that I am incorporating nuts (healthy fats) and eating clean and gluten free. My energy is still high but I am not listening to my rumbling stomach as much. I am more focused on eating small meals every 3-4 hours to sustain my energy and feelings of being full. I love that my mind isn't always focused on my next meal in a negative way but in a positive way because I am excited to eat and am no longer seeing food as the enemy that will make me fat and cause my to look at my body negatively. I actually feel better this week than I have in a long time. I noticed a flatter stomach, toned arms and legs and clearer skin. I am less worried about the number on a scale and more how my clothes fit. It's liberating!!

Stay warm again today!

XO


No comments:

Post a Comment